Getting to grips with bike maintenance
2 day course or as a 5-part 1 evening a week over 5 weeks course.
£195 per person
Are you baffled by brakes and confused by gear cables? This classroom-based course is for anyone that wants to learn to maintain their own bike, regardless of how and where you ride.
If you’re brand new to the world of bike maintenance, you might find our Chains and Choobs introductory course a good place to start before attending this one.
Join us for either 2-day course or a series of 5 evening workshops, adding new skills to keep you busy on those long winter evenings! Either format offers a structured introduction to in-depth bike maintenance, all based from our workshop in Aviemore. We provide the space, tools and equipment; all you need is a bike and a desire to learn more about it. We’ll help you to build your knowledge and skills on a system-by-system basis, to the point where you can perform a range of common maintenance jobs, including basic replacement parts. Led by an experienced professional mechanic, our new workshop setting allows us to make use of demonstrations and practical exercises, because hands-on learning is always best!
What we cover:
- ‘Bike anatomy’ and parts identification
- Intro to common tools and safe working methods
- Removing and re-fitting: wheels, cassette, chain, pedals, cranks, bottom bracket and forks
- Replacing a gear cable and adjusting gears
- Adjusting disc and rim brakes
- Adjusting headsets
- Wheel truing
*The course price includes replacement gear cable and gear housing.
What we don’t cover:
- Hydraulic brake servicing
- Suspension servicing
- Tubeless set-up
- The course runs from 0900 to 1600 each day, including a lunch break and short morning/afternoon breaks. Unfortunately due to covid restrictions we aren’t able to offer tea, coffee or cake. Please feel free to bring a flask and plenty of snacks, as a hungry mechanic is not an effective one!
- The course cost includes a replacement gear cable, housing, ferrules and cable tidy.
- Please bring your own (clean!) bike. We provide work stands, tools and PPE.
- Take a look at our other maintenance courses for more specialised workshops. We’re often asked for wheel truing courses, so for a standalone workshop check out our Wheel Truing Essentials course.
We run our mechanics courses using our covid-safe practices. As with all our courses, we provide full refunds in the event of cancellation due to local or national restrictions, illness or the need to self-isolate. The world might be a little weird these days, but you don’t need to worry about losing your money on a BackcountryScot course.